Monday, August 20, 2012

22nd August 2012

Dearest LB & GY,

Since I am once again doing my prayers in advance, I'd like to do something different today as I have some questions.

You know how in my everyday prayers, I have been praying for that big break to come along. Sometimes, I am confused. Because I think the teachings of Buddhism requires us to be contented with what we have and thankful for the privileges that we have. Then, should I be praying for more? Should I think of asking for more? Then, is it wrong to be somewhat ambitious - to want to achieve more to get more out of life, etc.. etc. Can you please guide me?

I think at the end of it, let me dig deep and ask myself - why do I want more?

I think first of all, I want more - I want that big break is so that honestly, I can give my family - namely, my parents as much comfort and luxury as I possibly can because I want them to be able to experience all the good things in the world. For example - even if I don't get to travel to Paris, ... I'd like my parents to be able to go. Something like that.

And then, of course, I'd like to save the world - one poor person at a time. I sometimes am also not sure why this is important for me. I mean, I'd like to be able to build a place where poor people can take shelter and I can help them with food, clothes and a roof over their head. And then I can help them to self-sustain or something like that. I'd also like to be able to help them have as good a life as they possibly can. Is it just to feel good about doing it or is this some bigger cause or a calling for me? I am also not sure. I mean, I'm in a situation where I want to help, but then, I am also calculating - ok, half my salary goes here, goes to taxi, goes to this. And then ......

But... the thing is, I think I have enough for myself. Even after helping them. Just that, I know I don't have anything saved up for a rainy day or for old age - if at all. But I am not even sure if that should be part of my life planning?

Dear LB & GY,

Please do guide me. Sometimes, I get too confused. I am afraid I might be over-thinking it. But I'd really like and need some guidance.

Please don't get me wrong. I am thankful for all the privileges in my life. I cannot complain about anything at all. I open my fridge and there's loads of food. I am blessed. So what is that "more", that big break that I want? To have more to give, that's what I think. But I want to also be true to myself about everything.

Please guide me and grant me the wisdom and clarity.

Thank you.

Eileen

No comments:

Post a Comment